14 March 2023

KBS World

Students of French Department::

We visited KBS World in Youido on May 24. The KBS building appeared in entertainment show “1 night and 2 days”, so it was a familiar building and looked old. Today, I will have an interview with my professor on KBS world radio's French channel. Videos related to K-pop in Korea continued to appear in the KBS lobby. In fact, many friends who are interested in K-pop send stories to the radio.

The producer of the French channel came and guided us. And I was able to meet a Korean-American host woman and a French male host. Their broadcast was very professional. There were few mistakes, and it was designed to continue naturally even if you make mistakes.

After the radio recording, I had a chance to meet the hosts. The male host was away for the next schedule and had a question-and-answer session with the female host. The host showed me a pronunciation and accent that was no different from the locals I heard when I traveled to France. Then I asked him the secret of studying French, and he lived in France since he was young. He seemed to be of French descent. In addition, because radio stations are busy, there is no time to hire and educate manpower, so they do not hire interns separately and gave a lot of advice to students interested in broadcasting.

 

Soon after, an interview took place and entered the radio booth. Soobin and I will have an interview as a representative of the department of French literature. I was interviewed (which was difficult) about French, what was good about learning French, and what I wanted to do afterwards. I didn't seem to be doing well, but the host gave me a lot of consideration, so I was able to finish it well.

The job of broadcasting stations is to deliver various news to various cultures. Therefore, it is important to be punctual and professional knowledge is essential. I  would like to express my gratitude to the officials who have always been considerate despite their solemn attitude. The experience of interviewing on KBS will remain in memory until later.                                             Lee Yunseo

 

Radio Booth Tour

I was wondering how the radio was conducted at the station and what the booth looked like. After this day my curiosity was solved. There was a separate booth in each language, like Chinese and French, and it was not large in size but cozy. And it was soundproofed.

French Interview

I entered the booth and conducted an interview in French with the host and Yunseo. The host speaks French very fluently. I was very nervous because it was an interview in French, but I proceeded while paying attention to the “R”-pronunciation, which is the most difficult for me. I prepared an answer in advance, and I think I did it pretty good.

It was such an honor to have an interview with KBS, a famous Korean broadcasting station. It was a valuable experience to interview in French, not Korean. This visit to KBS will be remembered forever in my life.           An Soobeen

 

The French interview is available on website of KBS World Radio: "click"




 

 

 

Students of German Department:

On May 24, we visited KBS World located in Yeouido, Seoul. Incheon University rented a bus, so we took the bus and went with our classmates from the Department of German Language and Literature and French Language and Literature. Since there are many countries supported in KBS world, the department of German Language and Literature and the department of French Language and Literature were divided into KBS world German and KBS world French and went on a field trip separately.

The producer of the German channel came and guided us. We visited a radio booth with a producer. I was very excited to see the radio booth with my own eyes for the first time. The result of comparing the radio booth I thought and the actual radio booth. It was very complicated and there were many radio machines, so the operation method seemed very difficult.

First, 2023 marks the 140th anniversary of diplomatic ties between Germany and Korea. And at the radio booth, the producer explained what KBS world is doing and what it wants to deliver. Because we belong to the Humanities University and to the language department, many students major in double majors together. Our German Language and Literature students asked a question to the producer and the producer's supervisor. First, the producer is very fluent in German, so I asked how he studied and if he had experience in Germany. However, surprisingly, the producer also had a degree in German language and literature and was interested in interpretation and translation while attending university. He had no local experience in Germany, but he spoke German very fluently, and as a result of studying how he studied German, he said that he was self-taught while watching Netflix in German with subtitles.

After listening to the explanations, before we came to KBS world, the professors asked us a few questions, so we went into the radio booth and conducted a radio show. The questions are about how important German is to me and how important German culture is to us. With a question about him, all the students from the Department of German Language and Literature prepared and went into the radio booth together as a group of two and talked directly to the radio. I was also very nervous because it was my first radio show, but thanks to Sohee Kim and Hyeyoon Jeong who asked questions and filmed next to me, I was able to finish without any tension.

After that, we went directly to KBS world office and saw the office and atmosphere. First of all, there were not only German channels, but also channels from other countries, and I thanked everyone for being so kind, and just as we were about to finish the group photo, a female producer came and showed us the set of the KBS program '생생 정보통’ and finished the tour.

Junhyeok and I are very passionate about German, and it was our first time entering a radio booth and experiencing it for the first time, so we were very grateful and honored.

KOH, Jae Hyun & JOON, Hyeok Min